Coconut oil has been used for thousands of years for both nutritional and medicinal purposes. Coconut oil was mainly used in topical countries in the Pacific rim and Asia. In later years coconut oil was introduced to western countries like the USA and Europe. Western civilisation used coconut oil for frying, baking and as a flavouring agent. Unfortunately, coconut oil got a bad rap in the late 1950’s due to speculations that coconut oil was bad for your cholesterol. The accusations weren’t too far from the truth as most coconut oil sold in the US were highly processed and in real terms not coconut oil any more. Coconut oil with low to no cholesterol is Virgin Coconut Oil. This is the purest form of coconut oil.
In this blog I will explain a few uses of coconut oil:
- DIY hair conditioner – For dry, itchy scalp use a small amount of coconut oil and massage it into your scalp. You can leave it in for anything from 5 minutes to hours.
- DIY Facial treatments – Mix a little bit of coconut oil with baking soda. Apply to face a scrub gently.
- DIY body treatments – Mix a bit of coconut oil with salt or brown sugar. Scrub problem areas in a circular motion.
- DIY lip balm – This is simple. Take a small amount of coconut oil. Apply to your lips and voila!
- Clean your makeup brushes – Cleaning your makeup brushes once a week is a MUST. This will reduce chances of infection. Combine any anti-bacterial hand wash and coconut oil and gently wash your brushes. Rinse with warm water to remove excess soap.
- DIY toothpaste – For those days you forgot to buy toothpaste. Mix coconut oil with baking soda until it forms a thick paste. Apply to toothbrush and brush.
- Easily remove gum – Just apply coconut oil to the gum and wait a few minutes, remove. This method works on hair, carpets and shoes.
- DIY wood treatment – Use a soft cloth and apply coconut oil to your wooden furniture and wooden kitchen utensils. The coconut oil will keep them in tip top shape.
- No more stuck zippers – Stuck zipper? Apply a small amount of coconut oil to the mechanism and jiggle gently.
- Prevent hairballs – Give your cat about half a teaspoon of coconut oil once a week to keep the hairballs at bay.
- Fur baby conditioner – Add a small amount of coconut oil to your furry friend’s dinner to help condition the hair.
- Supplements for your pet – Adding a small amount of coconut oil to your furry friend’s diet can do wonders for them. Not only can it help prevent arthritis and ligament problems but can also eliminate bad doggie breath.
- Add it to your coffee or tea – Instead of drinking your coffee or tea with sugar. Opt for coconut oil.
- DIY nut butter – Take a processor. Pulse 2 cups of nuts (almonds, cashews or pecans). Add 2 tbsp coconut oil. Pulse until smooth. Make it your own by adding different ingredients depending on your taste. Be adventurous, use honey, maple syrup, cinnamon, lax seed or even coffee as flavouring. Add your flavouring to small batches as a taste test before flavouring the whole batch.
- Get creative with your food – Instead of making your popcorn in oil, make it in coconut oil. It adds that something extra. If you prefer the traditional vegetable oil popping method, maybe you can try coating your popped corn with coconut oil instead of butter.
- Improve oral hygiene – Use 2 tbsp of coconut oil as a mouthwash. Coconut oil is anti-bacterial and may help prevent gum disease.
- Look after your skin – For small wounds, add a small amount of coconut oil. It can eliminate bacteria and prevent infection.
- DIY insect bite treatment – Dab a small amount of coconut oil on the bite mark and leave it. Never rub or scratch a bite mark as this irritates the toxins and increases itching.
- Cleaning your ears – This method should only be used for people with sensitive ears. Gently dip a Q-tip in coconut oil and remove excess oil. Gently insert into ear a clean.
- Strengthen your bones – Coconut oil will help improve magnesium and calcium absorption in the body. Increasing bone strength and bone density.
- Boost your metabolism – Coconut oil will speed up your metabolism, increasing weight-loss and stomach circumference.
So there you have it. Coconut oil can be a benefit to your house hold in more than one way. Please, when it comes to you or your pets health, please consult with a GP or Veterinarian before trying a new treatment or when adjusting your diet.
To further help improve your health. Opt for Ozone Therapy. Ozone Therapy can help fight eczema, psoriasis, acne, hormonal problems, yeast infections and obesity. Ozone Therapy will also boost your metabolism and increase vitamin and mineral absorption. You can lose up to 500 calories in one 30 minute Ozone Therapy Session.
What will you be using coconut oil for?