An ovarian cyst is any collection of fluid, surrounded by a very thin wall, within an ovary. Any ovarian follicle that is larger than about two centimetres is termed an ovarian cyst. An ovarian cyst can be as small as a pea, or as large as a grapefruit.
Most ovarian cysts are functional in nature, and harmless (benign). Ovarian cysts affect women of all ages. They occur most often, however, during a woman’s childbearing years. Some ovarian cysts cause problems, such as bleeding and pain. Surgery may be required to remove those cysts.
Ovarian cysts are usually seen in three (3) forms:
- Follicular or Functional Ovarian Cysts – During a menstrual cycle, an egg forms in a sac called a Follicle. The follicle is located inside the ovaries. Normally this follicle sac breaks open and releases the egg. If the follicle does not break open, the fluid inside the follicle can form a cyst on the ovary.
- Corpus Luteal Ovarian Cysts – Normally the follicle sac dissolves after releasing an egg. If the sac does not dissolve and the follicle sac seals. Additional fluid can form inside the sac. The accumulation of fluid can cause a corpus luteal cyst to form.
- Endometrioma or Chocolate Cysts – This is when tissue that normally grow inside the uterus, grow outside the uterus and attach to the ovaries.
- Cystadenomas – These are non-cancerous growths that develop on the outer surface of the ovaries.
- Dermoid cysts – These are sac-like growths on the ovaries that can contain hair, fat, and other tissue
The main symptoms of ovarian cysts are:
- Abdominal bloating or swelling
- Pelvic pain before or during the menstrual cycle
- Tenderness in breasts
- Pain during intercourse
- Painful bowel movements
- Lower back pain or pain in the thighs
If you think that you may have ovarian cysts, consult your doctor immediately. When diagnosed early on, the treatment of ovarian cysts can be easy and pain free. But when left undiagnosed, the long term effects may be irreversible. Ozone Therapy can help you prevent future cysts from developing. Ozone enhances the uptake of vitamins & minerals into the body, it balances out hormones, reduces pain and swelling and can prevents cysts and tumours from developing.
Please feel free to contact us:
+27 (0)72 422 1967
Sign up for our weekly newsletter to stay up to date on the latest Ozone & Health News:
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]