If you were born before the 21st century you would have seen your fair share of American movies where they mention meat loaf. But did you know, meat loaf actually originated in Europe? In the 5th century, the Romans enjoyed meatloaf with wine soaked bread, spices and pine nuts. This recipe makes 4-5 servings.
- 680g Ground beef
- 1 Slice bread, broken or finely chopped
- 1 Egg
- 1 small Sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 4 tbsp Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 4 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2 -4 tbsp Dark brown sugar, to taste
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, bread, egg, sweet onion, salt, pepper, ketchup and milk.
- Place into loaf baking pan and smooth out top. Your mixture should not be runny but firm. To prevent mixture from being runny add the milk in sacraments until the mixture is firm but well hydrated, otherwise your meatloaf will be dry.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar, dark brown sugar and ketchup. Mix well.
- Pour the sauce over the top and sides of the meatloaf.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour on top and sides of meatloaf.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes until done.
- Serve and enjoy!
Meatloaf is best served with potatoes (mashed/ fried or baked), vegetables or salads. You can also make a second batch of the sauce to serve on table. Just remember to heat it first.
Source: Food .com