There are many reasons why you might suffer from muscle aches and cramps. The most common reasons are; over use of a muscle, dehydration, stress, muscle strain, holding a position for a prolonged period of time, inadequate blood supply, vitamin/ mineral deficiency or in severe cases it can be due to an underlying medical condition.
Even if you live a balanced, heathy lifestyle you might experience the odd muscle spasm, especially if you exercise frequently. A normal spasm should last only a few days. If a spasm continues well after 1 week it is best to consult with your GP at the soonest possible moment.
Medical conditions related to muscle aches and spasms can include:
- Infections – flu, polio or bacterial infections.
- Autoimmune disorders – lupus, polymyositis or dermatomyositis.
- Certain prescription medications.
- Thyroid disorders – hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism.
- Hypokalemia is an illness due to low potassium.
Before visiting your GP you can follow a few simple at home techniques:
- If muscle spasms persist, it is best to rest the area for a few minutes. Don’t force your body into mobility.
- Apply an ice pack to the area in question. Keep it iced for a few minutes and then relieve.
- Gently stretch the muscles. Do not over work them.
- Do not pick up anything heavy as this can irritate the muscle further.
- Make sure you get enough calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium in your diet.
You can also opt for Ozone Therapy when experiencing muscle spasms. Ozone therapy is well suited for all types of people especially those who exercise on a regular basis. Ozone therapy breaks up lactic acid, increases cellular respiration in muscles, speeds up recovery of damaged tissue and accelerates growth of muscle, improves blood circulation, fights inflammation, viruses and bacteria and ozone improves vitamin and mineral absorption.
Visit an OZONE SAUNA CLINIC in your area TODAY, Click Here.
For more information, please feel free to contact us:
+27 (0)72 422 1967
Sign up below for our weekly newsletter to keep up to date on the latest Ozone Therapy News:
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]