When going “gluten free”, I alway thought that meant eating a very strict diet and not having any type of indulgence. Over the past few months I have learned how indulgent a gluten free diet can be.
These scones are amazing for those of us who love our teatime break. This recipe makes about 8 scones.
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup amaranth flakes
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp clementine zest
- 1/4 cup organic non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp clementine juice
- 2 tbsp raw turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 230 degrees Celsius.
- Sift together the flour, amaranth flakes, baking powder, salt, and clementine zest in a mixing bowl.
- Rub shortening into the flour until it becomes like a course meal.
- Add cranberries and stir until combined.
- Add the coconut milk, honey and clementine juice. Combine well.
- On a baking tray place baking parchment. Place about 1/4 cup scoops of dough on the prepared baking tray. Flatten slightly.
- Sprinkle some raw sugar onto each scone.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool slightly on cooling rack.
- Best served a bit warm.