This gluten free multigrain recipe is very moist and can be kept for 2-3 days. It works fabulously with cold meats and cheese and even on its own with a bit of butter.
This recipe makes one loaf of about 12 slices
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp organic cane sugar
- 1 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup certified gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch or tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup ground chia seeds
- 1/3 cup whole psyllium husks
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Butter an oven proof loaf pan; about 20cm x 12cm.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together warm water, sugar and yeast.
- Let it proof by setting it aside for about 5 minutes until it becomes foamy.
- While you wait, in another mixing bowl sift together the sorghum flour, oat flour, buckwheat flour, arrowroot starch and salt.
- To the yeast mixture, add olive oil, ground chia seeds, maple syrup and psyllium husks.
- Stir and let stand for 2-3 minutes. this mixture will start to thicken quite quickly.
- Using an electrical whisk (set to low), slowly add flour mixture to the wet ingredients. When all the flour has been incorporated set the whisk to medium, whisk for about 2 minutes.
- At the end add the sunflower seeds.
- Scoop dough into buttered loaf pan.
- Cover pan with a damp cloth and set aside for about 1 hour for dough to rise double
- Lightly brush loaf with olive oil and sesame seeds
- Place a 20 cm x 20cm pan filled halfway with water (a water bath) on the lowest rack in the oven.
- Place loaf pan on the middle rack in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes.
- After baking place bread on cooling rack and cool for about 1 hour before cutting. If you start cutting the bread before it has cooled properly it will have a “gummy” feel to it.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Here’s some more resources about gluten free from the guys over at Positive Health Wellness.