For this recipe we use white whole wheat flour. It is a bit more subtle in taste than the normal whole wheat flour. This delicious recipe makes 4 servings.
Each pizza base contains the following nutrients. Please note that this is just for the pizza base. These values does not include the toppings. We all tend to go over board with the toppings. Make sure everything you add is right for your diet. Remember all things should be eaten in moderation.
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp Warm water, not boiling.
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Dry yeast
- 2 cups White whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- In a small measuring cup, combine the warm water, honey and yeast. Stir and set aside for about 3-5 minutes or until a thin layer of foam forms.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour and 1/2 tsp salt. Whisk dry ingredients.
- Then add the yeast mixture and olive oil to the flour. Combine well, until a round ball forms. Make sure to scrape any excess dough from the sides of the bowl and add to the dough ball. The dough will be very sticky at this point, so don’t worry.
- Cover the mixing bowl with cling film and set aside to rise double. 2 hours is a perfect resting period.
- Scrape your dough onto a heavy floured surface and start kneading. Keep adding flour until the dough is firm enough but still moist to the touch.
- Form 4 equal dough balls. Flour your mixing bowl or any other large container and place the balls inside. Cover with cling film again and rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 220ºC
- Remove your dough balls and roll or shape into desired shapes.
- Place on a floured baking sheet and bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and add your toppings.
- Place in the oven again and bake for a further 10-15 minutes.
Source: The Food Network .com
- If your yeast does not start to foam. Discard and try again with new yeast. This can happen if your yeast is old or was improperly stored.
- You can store prepared dough balls in the fridge for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature.
- You can also par-bake your pizza bases. Bake the bases for 10 minutes on 220ºC. Set aside to cool. Package and freeze for up to 1 month. To cook them all you need to do is add your toppings to the frozen base and bake in the oven at 220ºC until hot.