Going back to work after a food filled festive season can be quite difficult. You barely arrive at work and your stomach starts growling. By 11am it feels like your body has started to consume itself. If like me, you get “hangry” (angry when you’re hungry), this situation can be quite dangerous. So rather than buying junk food or high carb/ sugar snacks, get organized and pack yourself a delicious lunch. Don’t forget to add some snacks in between like, fresh fruit, nuts, dried fruit or fresh vegetables. Keep an eye out for our weekly recipe ideas on our blog and Facebook page.
This delicious recipe is easy to make and yields 2 subs.
- 2 x 135g ciabatta rolls (Woolworths has these available in packs of 12 and they can be frozen)
- 8-12 Salami slices
- 60g Mozzarella, torn
- 2 tbsp torn Basil
- 10 Sundried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Balsamic glaze
- Halve the ciabatta rolls and butter each half. Opt for butter low in fat.
- On the two bottom halves. Place 2 or 3 slices of salami on each half. Top that with the mozzarella, basil and sun dried tomatoes.
- Drizzle the top with the balsamic glaze.
- Top with 2-3 slices of salami and place top half of ciabatta on the sub.
- Wrap tightly in cling film.
- The reason for putting the salami on the bottom and top of the sub is to reduce the ciabatta from soaking up the juice from the glaze and the tomatoes. Thus your sub will still be crispy fresh at lunch time.
- Don’t overdo it with the cheese. Remember less is more.
- Feel free to mix it up. Use ham and mustard with lettuce. Pastrami with rocket, feta and olives. The sky is the limit.
Source: BBC Good food