As the Festive Season is drawing closer, what better way to end a meal than to serve Pumpkin Muffins accompanied with coffee or tea? This delicious recipe yields about 12 heart healthy muffins.
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Whole-grain flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup Packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp Unsulphured molasses
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup Pumpkin, mashed and cooled
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Low-fat Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin seeds, unsalted & raw
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (400ºF).
- Prepare your muffin pan with cooking spray. Make sure the pan is evenly coated.
- In a medium bowl add the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Whisk gently.
- In a larger bowl, add the sugar, molasses, oil and 1 egg. Whisk until combined.
- Add the second egg and whisk again.
- Add the pumpkin and vanilla. Whisk.
- Add about 1/2 of your flour mixture to your pumpkin mixture and whisk. Then add 1/2 of the buttermilk and whisk again. Then add the last half of the flour mixture, whisk and finish off with the last of the buttermilk. Whisk until combined.
- Gently pour equal amounts of the batter into the muffin pan.
- Sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds over your muffins and tap the pan about 2-4 times to remove any large bubbles.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and cool for about 15 minutes before unmolding the muffins and placing them on a cooling rack.
- Cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!
Source: Ellie Krieger @ The Food Network