Who doesn’t love a piece of delicious Christmas Cake? This delicious recipe is gluten-, wheat- and soya free. It can also be adjusted to make it dairy, egg and nut free. There is no added sugar.
- 100g Margarine
- 1 large ripe Banana
- 2 large Lemons, finely grated rind and juice only
- 100g soft Prunes, stoned and halved
- 75g Raisins
- 75g Sultanas
- 75g Currants
- 150g soft Dried apricots, chopped in fairly large pieces
- 50g Candied orange & Lemon peel (mixed peel)
- 75g Walnuts, halved
- 25g Hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 Eggs
- 150g gluten-free flour that already includes xanthan gum
- 2 heaped tsp ground Nutmeg
- 1 heaped tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 heaped tsp Ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground Cloves
- 2 tbsp Brandy (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160C/ 300F.
- Prepare a 20cm cake tin with greased, greaseproof paper.
- In a food processor, mix the margarine, banana and lemon juice & rind.
- Pour into large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the nuts and dried fruit.
- In a separate mixing bowl beat the eggs.
- In another mixing bowl sieve the four and add the spices.
- Alternatively fold the egg and flour mixtures into your fruit mixture. Add the brandy if you desire.
- When fully combined spoon the mixture into your prepared cake tin.
- Level the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 2 hours. You will know the cake is ready when a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- When ready, remove from the oven.
- Remove cake from tin and place on cooling rack.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can swop out the Walnuts and Hazelnuts with 75g pumpkin seeds & 25g Sunflower seeds.
- To make an egg-free cake replace the 2 eggs with 2 level teaspoons of gluten-free baking powder.
- You can decorate your cake with nuts or icing, depending on your taste.
Source: BBC Food