This delicious recipe is easy to make and will be a hit at any time of day or occasion. This recipe is vegan friendly.
- 2 cups coarse Semolina
- 1 cup desiccated Coconut
- 1 cup Caster sugar
- 1 cup Self-raising flour
- 1 cup Lemonade
- 3/4 cup Coconut oil, melted, cooled
- 24 natural Almond kernels
Rosewater sugar syrup:
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon rosewater essence
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC or 180ºC Fan.
- Grease a 22cm x 33cm; 6cm deep rectangular roasting pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the semolina, coconut, sugar and flour.
- Make a well in the centre and add the lemonade and oil. Stir until combined.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Use a knife to cut diamond slices. Press one almond in the middle of each slice.
- Cover the pan with a tea towel and set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Remove tea towel and place in oven to bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, make your rose water syrup by placing sugar and 1 1/2 cups of water in a saucepan. Heat over a low heat, stirring for 3-5 minutes or until the sugar had dissolved.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for a further 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in rose water essence and lemon juice.
- Remove pan from oven and pour the syrup evenly over the basbousa.
- Set pan aside to cool completely.
- Recut diamond shapes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Source: Taste Australia