We all love a good pasta, especially when combined with bacon, mushroom and cheese. This delightful recipe serves 8 and contains only 180 calories per serving.
- 170g Whole wheat pasta
- 3 slices Turkey bacon
- 2 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Small onion, diced
- 2 tsp Garlic, minced
- 2 cups Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp Italian herb blend, salt-free
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 3 tbsp Water
- 1 cup Plain Greek yogurt, non-fat
- 3 tbsp Low-fat parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup Mozzarella, low moisture, part-skim-fat, shredded
- 3 tbsp Bread crumbs, whole wheat
- 1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200° C.
- In a large pot, boil the pasta according to package instructions. Do not add extra oil, butter or salt. Keep about 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Cook the turkey bacon in the microwave according to the package instructions. Cool and chop the turkey bacon into squares.
- In a medium pot heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and add the onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are almost see through. Make sure not to brown the onions.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, 1 tbsp italian seasoning and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes on a low-medium heat.
- Add water and cook for another 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl add the yogurt, mozzarella and parmesan. Mix until fully combined.
- Add the pasta water and yogurt mixture to the pan with mushrooms and turkey bacon. Stir until fully combined.
- Remove from heat and place in an oven proof dish.
- In a mixing bowl add the bread crumbs, 1 tbsp italian seasoning and 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Stir until fully combined. Sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Source: Recipe copyright © 2014 American Heart Association