This delicious bread recipe is easy to make and works great with breakfast. Remember to make a large X shape on-top of the bread. This recipe makes about 24 slices.
- 2 cups Whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Wheat germ
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Buttermilk, low-fat
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Have a baking tray at the ready.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat germ, baking soda and salt. Combine (use a whisk).
- Add the buttermilk and egg. Mix with hands until fully combined.
- Flour the counter top and place the dough on top.
- Gently kneed for 8-10 minutes. Please note the dough will be sticky.
- Make a loose ball and place on the baking tray. Form gently into a round-ish shape. Dust the top of the dough with flour.
- Press an X shape onto the top (about 1-2cm deep).
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. The bread should split where you made the X and should have a hollow sound when tapped.
- Place on a cooling rack and cool for 2 or more hours.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Source: Mayo Clinic .org