This deliciously moist chicken is east to prepare and needs about 1 hour 35 minutes to cook. A great recipe for those with busy schedules over the Christmas season. This recipe yields 4 servings, depending on your side dishes.
- 1.5kg Whole fresh chicken
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Fresh thyme leaves
For the stuffing:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g Button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 Rashers bacon, rind removed, finely chopped
- 1 Leek, pale section only, washed, finely chopped
- 70g (1 cup) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 2 tbsp Fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Egg, lightly whisked
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium to high heat.
- Add the mushrooms, bacon and leek. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- When the bacon and mushrooms are nice and brown, remove from heat and place in heat proof mixing bowl.
- Add the breadcrumbs, parsley and lightly whisked egg. Stir to combine.
- Prepare your chicken by removing excess fat and giblets. Rinse the whole chicken under cold water and make sure the cavity is nice and clean.
- Pat try with a paper towel.
- Loosely fill the chicken cavity with the stuffing.
- Tie the legs together with unwaxed chicken string. Tuck the wings under and place the chicken breast side up in a roasting pan.
- Drizzle the chicken with oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with thyme.
- Roast in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, cover roasting pan with foil and set aside to rest for about 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve and enjoy!
To know if your chicken is perfect, pierce the thigh with a skewer. If the liquid runs clear, then you know you’re good to go.
Source: Taste .com Australia